Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Choosing Happiness

Mike mentioned in his first blog post about how this 90 day transformation would focus on physical health, spiritual health and overall happiness. For me, I'd say my biggest transformation was/is my journey towards pure, authentic happiness. I had always considered myself a happy person, I smiled a ton, thought I was upbeat, personable and laughed a lot but what I didn't really realize was that most times, my happiness tended to surround or be tied to an event, a thing, someone else's approval or someone else's idea of what being happy was etc. There were times, that I was gossiping unnecessarily, feeling terrible while doing it and would continue because - confession- hearing about someone else's downfall, heart break or failure made me for about a millisecond feel better about my position in life. Once that second was over, I felt so much worse for possibly having contributed to making someone in a bad spot, feel worse. Think about that crazy cycle. How insane is that?!? I had 4 beautiful, healthy, happy children that I adored, I LOVED being a mom, had a marriage for the books, I was physically fit and healthy, had supportive family and friends and there were times I still felt like all those wonderful amazing things weren't enough and I couldn't figure out why. What was I looking for or trying to achieve. I felt different. I had had 4 children so quickly, gave up my career to be home with them and was trying to figure out how to be a "first time mom" four times over. And with all of those changes happening, I still felt so strongly that I was exactly where I needed to be; a full time, stay at home mom but even that! Sometimes I felt embarrassed for not wanting to be at work. I was educated and had a good thing going at work, I had really enjoyed my career what was I doing giving that all up? I felt isolated and distant from a lot of things and people I had been close to - but not because of anything they were doing it was all on my own accord, I just didn't know it at the time. This began my search for real, deep, authentic happiness. The stuff that radiates and shoots out of your finger tips. I wanted to be the person that made other people feel better just by a single interaction. Always positive, always smiling, always manifesting miracles. I knew it would help me not only be a better person and wife but most importantly be the kind of mother I wanted to be. I know that this may sound a little odd or crazy to some and honestly, I was hesitant to even share this but knew by withholding this information our friends, family, community or anyone else reading this blog wouldn't fully understand the scope of the work we have and are doing to ensure we and our family is the healthiest it can be. I've had some pretty powerful results in a really short period of time. So, while Mike will focus mostly on the physical health portion of our journey, I hope to share the strides we've taken to focus our mental health on love, positivity and being overall better people.

No comments:

Post a Comment